This is made with wholemeal spelt flour and has a lovely nutty flavour.
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 eggs
- milk or water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tspn chicken stock powder
- 2 tspn fine parmesan cheese
- make batter as usual. Mix all dry ingredients, add eggs then liquid to a soft dough.
- run through any spaetzle maker into a pot of boiling water. Simmer for 5 mins.
- ***this flour is a lot firmer than normal spaetzle.
- Half a diced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- butter to fry, half a cup cream for sauce.
- Saute onions until golden. Add spaetzle and saute for several minutes on medium heat. add mushrooms to the side and fold through. cook for 2 minutes and add cream, salt and pepper, chicken stock powder and sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Cook on low heat as this will bring the flavours through. Serve with schnitzel and garnish.