If you thought Spaetzle was only savoury, you are so wrong. We have tried spaetzle in a number of combinations, with custards, fruits and of course cinnamon and chocolate. Let’s Go! (and no nuts in sight either!)
Generally speaking, spaetzle are only savoury. But that’s is not always the case. Try and be a little different, especially with Spatz Nuts. These are the yummiest to have on a Sunday afternoon with coffee. I invented these as a cross between a doughnut and a fritter. Make note this is the only time you use self-rising flour and not plain.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 tsp. salt
approx. 1 cup water or milk.
oil for frying
sugar and cinnamon mix
- Sift the 2 flours together and then make batter in the usual way
- Heat oil (approx. 3 inches high in a frypan)
- Drop the spaetzle into the oil in small batches
- Drain on a paper towel and then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Eat warm, with coffee for afternoon tea.
You can also use chocolate-hazelnut spread in the mix, mashed banana, and serve with ice cream or whipped