Generally speaking, spaetzle are only savoury. But that’s is not always the case. Try and be a little different, especially with Spatz Nuts.
These are the yummiest to have on a Sunday afternoon with coffee. I invented these as a cross between a doughnut and a fritter.
Make note this is the only time you use self raising flour and not plain.
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 tspn salt
approx. 1 cup water or milk.
oil for frying
sugar and cinnamon mix
- Sift the 2 flours together and then make batter in the usual way
- Heat oil (approx 3 inches high in a frypan)
- Drop the spaetzle into the oil in small batches
- Drain on a paper towel and then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Eat warm, with coffee for afternoon tea.
You can also use chocolate-hazelnut spread in the mix, mashed banana, and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.